School Lunches

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Kumquats - Little Nuggets of Sunshine

Lately, I've found myself picking up new items at the grocery store that I've never worked with before. A few days ago I picked up these adorable kumquats. Per usual, when I have no idea what to do with something I start searching Pinterest which led me to this amazing kumquat poppy seed vinaigrette. I highly recommend it. The only substitution I made was using red wine vinegar (as that is all I had on hand).   


Don't they look like little nuggets of sunshine? You would hardly know it's January in Iowa with the amazing citrus I've been getting my hands on. 


Easy, beautiful, and tasty!


Salad of mixed greens, sliced red onions, black berries, and sliced kumquats.


Sliced kumquats, black berry, and goat cheese on a 34 Degree poppy seed crisp (I LOVE 34 Degree crisps. I find most crackers to be too overpowering for most toppings, but these thin crisps provide the perfect base without an overpowering taste.)


Chicken milanese topped with a salad of mixed greens, radishes, red onions, cherry tomatoes, and, of course, kumquat poppy seed vinaigrette. 


I wish I had something more profound to say, but sometimes short and sweet is best. So I'll just say this - don't be afraid of trying something new. Even if it is something as tiny as a kumquat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment