School Lunches

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Good Fortune





For my first blog post of the new year I wanted to do something fun that would give me some positive inspiration for the year ahead. So, after a few quick Pinterest searches for some inspiration I decided on fortune cookies. The most intimidating part was having to think of actual fortunes worthy of putting in my cookies. Luckily, I stumbled upon this adorable blog for paper fortune cookies and printable fortunes so I didn't have to worry about trying to be witty and inspirational trying to come up with my own (that would have taken way more time than actually making the cookies).

After spending a little quality time with my straight edge cutter cutting out each individual fortune I gave my six year old the task of reading them and deciding which ones she wanted to use. Is it considered cheating when you choose your own fortune?


Although I've enjoyed taking pictures for a long time, I'm still pretty new to actually understanding my camera. I was actually trying to focus on a fortune in the middle that said "your smile will tell you what makes you feel good". But after countless 'clicks' my camera would only let me focus in on this fortune... "look for new outlets for your reactive abilities". I couldn't fight it anymore. This would be my fortune for today. 

Here is the recipe I used, making a few minor changes. I used vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla extract, eliminated the almond extract, and (since I just used all my vegetable oil frying some homemade donuts) I used melted butter instead of oil.


 Wisk the oil (or butter), egg whites, and vanilla until frothy.


Combine the flour, corn starch, sugar, salt, and water to form a thick paste. Next, mix the egg white mixture into the 'paste' to create a thin batter. 



Spoon a couple teaspoons on a non-stick mat and use the back of a spoon to spread into a thin circle. If they are too thick the cookies will become cake-like and you won't be able to fold them nor will they have the snap open. 


After baking for 5 minutes quickly fold the cookie in half, placing fortune in the middle) then fold over a cup. Hold for a few second until the cookie holds its shape. TIP - you must work quickly so it's best to only make 2-4 cookies at a time.




May 2015 bring you good fortune! 


1 comment: