School Lunches

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Jam and Biscuits


This morning as I was looking for something to make for the kids for breakfast, my middle daughter, Addison, chimed in "mommy, my tummy says it wants Cinnamon Toast Crunch". Well, that was easy enough. A bowl of cereal with almost no cleanup. However, while she was enjoying her Cinnamon Toast Crunch, my oldest daughter, Layla, and I decided to have fruit, berries, and cinnamon toast. It must have looked good because when Addison finished her cereal she paused and said, "I will have more later. But for now, I will have whatever you want to make me." I saw her eyeing Layla's plate and asked if she wanted the same thing. "Yes, but I want it on a stick." Yes, I spend so much time plating meals for the kids that now they make strange requests like "I want it on a stick" or "will you put the berries in a circle pattern on my yogurt". I suppose it's my own fault for letting them think that's normal, but if she wanted me to put berries on a stick, that's what she would get. 


After I made this I figured it would make the perfect 'XO' breakfast for Valentine's Day. So there is a little inspiration for you a month early. 






While I was cleaning up I realized how many strawberries I had to use up and thought I would look for a recipe I could have the kids help me with. I have never made jam before, but I a simple 3 ingredient recipe that I could easily adapt to my taste.




Strawberry-Orange Vanilla Bean Jam

Ingredients 
  • 2 cups sliced strawberries 
  • Juice from 1 orange
  • 1 cup turbinado (raw) sugar (granulated can be substituted)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (optional) 
Directions 
  • Cook strawberries and orange juice on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
  • Add sugar and increase temperature to medium. Bring to boil and cook until temperature reaches 210 degrees (fahrenheit)
  • Remove from heat and let cool and stir in vanilla bean past.
  • Cool at room temperature for a few minutes before transferring to heat safe jar. 
  • Refrigerate until jam is cooled and set. 
(Source states that Jam will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.)


What better to pair with jam than homemade biscuits? I did not adapt anything on this recipe and I highly recommend it. 

Foolproof Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits from Tracey's Culinary Adventures blog. 




The kids loved getting to help pour/mix both the jam and biscuits. It's incredible how many lessons kids can learn in the kitchen - math, science, teamwork, measuring, motor skills, not to mention patience and listening! Plus, the overwhelming sense of accomplishment when they get to actually eat something they made with their own tiny hands. It's a wonderful feeling.














No comments:

Post a Comment